If you have ever spent even the smallest amount of time volunteering, you know its benefits. A volunteering hand makes for a happy heart. It has been a long tradition of the community to support Hammond-Henry Hospital with time and effort. We are truly fortunate to have the women and men of our area volunteer in a number of ways here at Hammond-Henry Hospital.
What does volunteering at Hammond-Henry Hospital involve?
The Volunteer Program at Hammond-Henry Hospital provides extra hands to assist patients, residents, and family during their time at the hospital. You will find volunteers in many areas of the facility. Volunteer opportunities are available for adults, but we also offer a Junior Volunteer Program for students (grades 8-12).
Volunteer opportunities at Hammond-Henry Hospital include:
- Information desk: Greet hospital visitors, help patients who need wheelchair support and run errands.
- Surgical waiting: Help patients register and serve as a host for families waiting for patients in surgery. Keep track of family members during the surgery, so physicians and surgeons can find them to share updates.
- Activities with Long Term Care Residents: Play BINGO, help with special programs, play the piano and help with birthday parties.
- Gift shop: Greet and assist customers in The Gift Shop.
- Office Duties: Filing, answering phones, assist with mailings, assemble education materials.
- Courier: Make inter-office deliveries, deliver patient mail or flowers, or provide service to HHH Clinics
- Shuttle Drivers: Operate the shuttle to assist patients/visitors from the parking lot to the front door and back to their vehicles.
- Flower Arrangers: Make small bouquets & arrangements to brighten the day for patients. The arrangements are sold in the Gift Shop.
We are also looking for volunteers to help with:
- Home-based assignments (like crocheting/sewing or making phone calls)
- Fundraising projects
- Health fairs
- Health screenings
You will train with experienced volunteers, so you will know just what to do in each position.
How can I get involved?
We are so happy that you are interested! Here are the steps to get you started:
- Fill out an application. They are available by stopping by the Volunteer Office or by emailing a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call 309.944.9130 for an interview appointment
- Attend a Volunteer Orientation.
- Set your volunteer schedule (a commitment of at least once a month)
You may want to consider joining the Hammond-Henry Hospital Auxiliary. Volunteers are encouraged to become Auxiliary members as an additional way to show their support of the hospital. The Auxiliary is an organization of volunteers which plans educational and fund-raising activities. Hammond-Henry Hospital Auxiliary is a 501(c) 3 organization whose purpose is to support Hammond-Henry Hospital so donations and fundraising proceeds are used to purchase equipment or enhance hospital programs. Auxiliary Scholarships supporting local students studying health careers are also available and are funded by an annual Ice Cream Social, Gift Shop profits and other fundraisers.