The history of Hammond-Henry Hospital dates back to 1901 when Mr. John C. Hammond purchased the former home of Major James M. Allen which was known as the Northwestern Normal Dormitory and presented it to the city of Geneseo along with $1,000 to put the building in repair which included heating apparatus, fixtures for electrical lighting and operating room equipment.
In 1906, the first hospital board of directors was appointed by the mayor.
By 1914, the hospital had outgrown its original building. Six new rooms and an elevator were added at a cost of $10,000. This made room for an x-ray department and laboratory.
In 1923, a bungalow was erected on College Avenue for a nurses' home at a cost of $6,000.
On National Hospital Day, May 12, 1939, a new wing was opened which increased the bed capacity to 20.
In 1947, the Illinois Legislature passed the Hospital Authority Act. During the fall of that year various interested individuals in Geneseo and the surrounding area met to discuss the possibility of forming such a district for this area. As a result of those meetings, petitions were circulated requesting that such a district be formed and on January 9, 1948, a petition signed by approximately 1,000 voters was filed with the County Court requesting that a hospital district be formed.
As a result of the filing of this petition, an election was held on April 22, 1948. The vote was three to one in favor of establishing the district. As a result, on May 11, 1948, the County Court entered an order forming a district and appointed commissioners of the district.
Since the Hospital Authority Act was a new law, it was necessary that its constitutionality be determined. Before the local hospital authorities could take complete action to have this done a case arose from Morrison, Illinois where an attempt was being made to form such a district. The result of that case, in the Illinois Supreme Court in November of 1948 held that the law did not fulfill all constitutional requirements and was therefore void.
Various organizations throughout the state which were interested in the hospital authority law worked with the Illinois Department of Public Health and changes were made in order to comply with the objections raised by the Supreme Court. The revised hospital district law of 1949 was presented to the Legislature during its session of 1949 and this law passed.
In February, 1950 petitions for the creation of the Henry Hospital District under the authority of the 1949 law were circulated and filed. As a result of that action an election was held on April 24, 1950 and the voters voted by a majority of five to two to establish the Henry Hospital District.
The original directors appointed by the County Court on May 15, 1950 were Mrs. Henry Waterman and W. E. Snow of Geneseo, Mrs. Earl Sergeant and William S. Angerer of Atkinson, Milford Heller of Loraine Township, Darrell miller of Osco Township, Mrs. Vincent Weber of Phenix Township, Samuel Wainwright of Zuma Township, Rock Island County and Alfred B. Colby of Cornwall Township. After Cornwall Township was subsequently detached, Wesley Larson of Munson Township was appointed to take Mr. Colby's place.
During the winter of 1951 negotiations were entered into with the city of Geneseo for the transfer of the J.C. Hammond Hospital facilities to the district, and the transfer was made as of April 1, 1952. On that date the Henry Hospital District took over the operation of the hospital and it was renamed the Hammond-Henry District Hospital. Clement G. McNamara was hired as administrator of the Hammond-Henry District Hospital in October of 1952.
Mr. McNamara and an architect engaged by the hospital immediately began plans for a new building. Six hundred and twenty thousand dollars in bonds were issued in 1953 and the new building opened on December 11, 1954.
In January 1963, the board of directors announced a proposed one and a half million dollar building program. To finance the project, an area wide public fund-raising campaign was conducted which raised $400,000. The hospital district issued general obligation bonds in the amount of $550,000 and the hospital received a federal Hill-Burton grant of $372,000. Ground was broken on April 7, 1965 and the entire project was completed in 1968. The new building increased the bed capacity from 62 to 110 beds. The dietary, laboratory, x-ray, emergency room, business office and boiler room were expanded. Physical therapy, pharmacy, medical records, occupational therapy, dental clinic and solarium were either new or remodeled quarters.
The hospital continued to expand during the years from 1968 to 1975 and several new departments were established; the volunteer services department in 1971, social services and respiratory therapy in 1972. Also in 1972 Hammond House was refurbished to provide temporary housing for prospective or new physicians, classroom, and conference facilities.
In 1974 the department of in-service education was established.
In April 1975 the A. W. Wellstein memorial coronary care unit was opened and construction of two physicians' offices was completed adjacent to Hammond House.
In 1978 the board of directors and the medical staff unanimously recommended an expansion and modernization project. Ground was broken for the $1.05 million new addition in November of 1978. The two story addition provided space for expanded emergency and outpatient services, medical records, admitting office, doctor consultation, dictation and library area. The second story provided a new intensive/coronary care unit. Service area remodeled and expanded included recovery room, surgery, anesthesia, respiratory therapy, laboratory and obstetrics.
In July of 1986, home health services were added.
In April 1992, expansion and remodeling of the new obstetrics services was completed.
In 1994, 30,000 foot 6.5 million expansion was completed which houses the imaging, admitting and emergency departments. The Imaging Department has separate rooms for the CT scaner, X-ray, ultrasound, mammography and processing.
In September 1994, the board signed a contract with Brim Health Care Inc., an Oregon-based hospital management firm.
November 1994, the board voted to hire The Physical Therapy Center, Davenport to run its PT department at an annual cost of $228,000. That agreement ran through 2001 when therapy services began through Hammond-Henry Hospital staff.
In January 1995, Hammond-Henry Hospital's mammography machine was accredited by was approved by the American College of Radiology's Mammography Accreditation Program.
In September 1996, purchases totaling $110,000 were approved by the board for a C-arm and X-ray equipment used in orthopedic treatment.
In March 1997, the hospital foundation was formed to raise money for hospital expansion and development.
In May 2000, the Cardiac Rehabilitation Phase II Program was opened. The program is an outpatient exercise program for persons with cardiac conditions. The program is designed to help patients recover faster and return to full, productive lives.
In June 25, 2001, groundbreaking for the 29,000 foot Physician and Surgery Center took place.
In July 2002, the two primary care physician practices in Geneseo relocated to the new medical office facility which was constructed west of the 1994 addition. The second floor includes an operating room, a special procedure room, and an endoscopy suite. Also, a same day services wing features private rooms and bathrooms for patients, a pre-admission teaching room and a separate waiting room.
In May 2004, ground is broken on a $6.2 million construction project that includes the addition of a third floor atop the Physician and Surgery Center. The new floor created a healing environment; that accommodates technology advances; and is flexible to meet the needs of Hammond-Henry Hospital well into the future. The floor includes 24 total inpatient beds for critical care, med-surg and obsterical care. The project also included a new plant services building south of the Skilled/Extended Care building.
In 2004, the sports medicine program was started in a storage facility on the west end of Geneseo. A year later the service relocated to the Geneseo Foundation Athletic Facility. The program includes wellness classes, athletic training services, The Summit, an the athletic performance enhancement program.
In 2005, the orthopedic joint replacement program was started with three separate orthopedic surgeons participating in the program. By 2009, Hammond-Henry was performing over 100 joint replacement surgeries annually.
In 2009, patient satisfaction rates for outpatient surgery and the emergency department climb to the top four percent in the nation. Two years earlier the board of directors had established a goal to be in the top ten percent of all hospitals for patient satisfaction.