Always follow rules of Good Sleep Hygiene.
- Get up at the same time every day.
- Try to sleep only when drowsy.
- Maintain a relaxing pre-sleep routine. This may include a warm bath (1-2 hours before bedtime), relaxation exercises or quiet reading.
- Keep the bedroom dark, cool and quiet while sleeping.
- If unable to fall asleep or stay asleep, get out of bed and engage in quiet activity such as reading. Return to bed only when sleepy.
- Exercise regularly, but do not exercise vigorously within several hours of bedtime.
- Keep a consistent daily schedule for meals, medication and other activities.
- Long naps can disturb your nighttime sleep. If necessary, 20-30 minute naps in the early afternoon are best.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol within 4 hours of bedtime.
- Avoid nicotine near bedtime.
Hammond-Henry Hospital Sleep Disorder Center
600 North College Avenue
Geneseo, IL 61254
Phone: (309) 944-9290